pathlib

Wed Oct 2 04:14:33 EDT 2019

On 2/10/19 12:52 AM, Rhodri James wrote:

>>> I think it should not.
>>
>> The term "concrete" is applied to Path(), PosixPath(), and
>> WindowsPath() - whereas the others are differentiated with the prefix
>> "Pure".
>>
>> I take "concrete" to mean 'existing in reality or real experience'.
>> Thus, I saw the Pure* entities as supporting abstract paths, but the
>> concrete entities as representing (and reflecting) real-world (file
>> system) entities.
>>
>> Thus, there is no need for .exists() to be available in the Pure
>> paths, but there is when utilising their concrete implementations.
>
> Sorry but your logic is inconsistent here.  For starters, it's not that
> there's no need for .exists() in Pure paths, it's that .exists() is
> meaningless.  Pure paths aren't related to any actual filing system (to
> paraphrase you), so existence isn't an option.
>
> However if you insist that "concrete" means "existing in reality", then
> .exists() is unnecessary because by your very definition the path must
> exist.  The very act of creating the Path object would create the
> corresponding file or directory.  So either pathlib does something
> horrific, or your definition is wrong.

Very good! Yes, I'd picked-on .exists() purely (hah!) because it does
not appear in PurePaths, but does in concrete Paths.

That said, it is one of the ways that a path can be shown to transition
from some 'pure' state to become 'concrete'.

However, A.N.Other has suggested that I might be mis-applying the word
"concrete", so maybe not. On which topic, I went looking for a decent
technical definition of the word, but instead of coming-out smiling,
I've been left somewhat stony-faced (hah, hah!).

A definition/description would be useful. Any pointers?

 > Consider for a moment:
 >
 >      rhodri at scrote:~$ cat /home/rhodri/foo.txt
 >      cat: /home/rhodri/foo.txt: No such file or directory
 >
 > cat "concatenates files" to quote its man page.  Does that mean it
 > creates them if they don't exist, just because I typed the name into the
 > command?  No.  I wouldn't expect it either.  In exactly the same way I
 > don't expect a concrete file*name* to necessarily refer to an actual
file.

I haven't followed this point: throwing a non-existent file at cat
produces an err.msg. Neither of us are surprised! However, we know
exactly which path was/paths were used, and where (at least the first)
error was found.

In the case that sparked this enquiry, and in most others, there is no
need for a path that doesn't actually lead somewhere. The paths that are
used, identify files, open them, rename them, create directories, etc.
The idea of a path that just 'exists' (sorry!), without being part of
some purpose, seems odd.

At this time (and assuming that after two (separate) incidents dragging
me away to solve other people's problems, I intend to stick with trying
to get my head around pathlib - even if I have to sub-class it (which my
reading shows is another 'can of worms'). So, 'reading' is about all
I've accomplished since the original post. Sadly, the majority of posts
seem to have come from other confused-minds - many of whom seemed to be
giving-up in disgust. If true, such represents TWO failures! I'm sure
that the designer(s) had a clear vision (having watched previous
attempts rise-and-fall), but per earlier in this discussion, maybe the
explanation and 'vision' could be better communicated to us simple-boys?

Regarding this discussion: I've been able to take points-raised and
learn, even to decide on some tactics for future use. Thanks to all who
have contributed wisdom...
--
Regards =dn