Recommendations for intro to python+programming lecture to Humanities MA students

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 15:51:04 EST 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 7:44 AM Göktuğ Kayaalp <self at gkayaalp.com> wrote:

> Andrew Z <formisc at gmail.com>  wrote:
> > Goktug,
> >   Im not clear what is the objective of the lecture? I understand it is an
> > intro, but what are you trying to achieve?
>
> Basically I need to introduce my non-programmer friends to Python and
> show them that they can easily learn to do their statistics with it,
> produce nice graphs, etc.  And I need to give them nice pointers so that
> they can self-teach w/o much friction.

Oh, okay. Producing graphs can't really be done with just the standard
library, so I withdraw my earlier recommendation to minimize
dependencies. It means you're going to need to spend a bit of your
time making sure they can pip-install things, but on the upside,
you're going to have way more "wow" factor from a few simple lines of
pyplot code that pop up a pretty little graph.

ChrisA