Launching a Script on the Linux Platform

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 17:39:08 EST 2019

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 22:15:31 +0100, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

> On 2019-11-18 15:01:57 -0600, Wildman via Python-list wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 05:09:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> > The deb should depend on an appropriate Python package. Then you can
>> > assume and expect that this version of Python is installed.
>>
>> Yes, of course, python(3) is listed as a "depends" in the deb
>> control file.  That does insure that python is installed but
>> in no way does that tell me the path of the python executable.
>
> The debian packaging guidelines tell you where the execuable has to be.
> If you install the python package you can be very sure that the
> executable will be in /usr/bin. And this is the executable you want to
> use. You don't want to use some other random program called "python"
> (which may or may not be an interpreter for some version of the Python
> language) which just happens to be in the user's path.
>
>         hp

Yes, /usr/bin is the likely place to find the python executable
but a guideline is not a guarantee.  I have always been taught
it is never a good idea to use a hard path unless it is something
installed with your program or something created by your program.
That approach has not failed me.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!