Launching a Script on the Linux Platform

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 13:04:01 EST 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 18:27:45 +0000, Barry Scott wrote:

>> On 12 Nov 2019, at 20:24, Wildman via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I prefer to envoke env in the shebang line instead of
>> depending on the path.  Paths can change especially in a
>> multi-user system but env will always know where to find
>> the executable.
>
> The path to python will not change surely?

In Linux, being a multi-user OS, the path is not global or
system wide.  The path can be different for different users.
This is done by adding an EXPORT command to ~/.bashrc.

> Because you are installing from a deb you know the exact path to the python you
> need to use. There is no need to use the /usr/bin/env to search the path and
> potential break your code, because a version of python that you do not expect is on
> the path.
>
> Barry

I don't understand.  The deb does not install python so I
fail to see how I would know the exact path.

As to env breaking my code, never heard of such a thing.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
"There are only 10 types of people in the world...