nonlocal fails ?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 11:19:08 EST 2019

On 11/15/19 5:28 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> :-)  Although that is how we humans remember the effect of what we do, there
> is no reason for a programming language to do it exactly like that.  And
> sometimes they don't.

So, in effect he's saying not all languages use the classic variable
model, which you then agree with but then go on to insist that there
must be a way in Python to implement the classic, traditional language
variable model?  I don't understand your point.

> Which you can find back in any language which allows a "by reference"
> passing of arguments to a procedure (and do remember how strings are often
> /only/ passed as such).    The caller often uses one name for the "value"
> passed as an argument but in the procedure uses a different one - both
> accessing the same contents.

Again, which isn't Python.  And come to that such mechanisms should be
used sparingly in languages which offer/require them.

> With some variation of "simple" I guess. :-)
>
> Personally I think I would sooner go for a single-element tuple.

To each his own.  I rather suspect Python is not a good a fit for you.

Quite a few folks here have showed a lot of patience with your
questions, and posted very insightful and educational comments, which is
a part of the list that I enjoy very much and learn a great deal from.
But you seem to unwilling to internalize any of it.

However, I appreciate that you have kept the tone civil and polite.
Thank you.