Using Makefiles in Python projects

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:01:44 EST 2019

On 2019-11-11, Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm sure it's possible to write Makefiles that work with both GNU make
>> and NMake, but I imagine it's a rather limiting and thankless enterprise.
>>
>> Is that something you actually do? (Maybe it's great, I really wouldn't
>> know. Do tell!)
>
> Trying to work cross-platform with NMake/GNU make is every bit as horrid
> as you're imagining when you start getting clever, and I haven't tried
> doing it for years.

That's my experience as well.

> Generally when I'm working on both Windows and Linux, Cygwin is
> involved anyway so I just use GNU make and be done with it.

And that's also what I usually do.  I've been tempted to try msys
make/bash instead of Cygwin, but that's probably not going to happen
until something stops working under Cygwin or I run out of more
entertaining projects before spring.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want another
                                  at               RE-WRITE on my CEASAR