Using Makefiles in Python projects

Vitaly Potyarkin sio.wtf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 14:20:28 EST 2019

What do you think of using Makefiles for automating common chores in
Python projects? Like linting, type checking and testing?

I've come up with a reusable Makefile for automating virtual environment
management in Python projects. I think it can be useful for simplifying
the onboarding of new developers (both new to project and new to Python)
and for documenting project's development practices.

Here it is:
- Repo: https://github.com/sio/Makefile.venv
- Demo screencast: https://asciinema.org/a/279646

What do you think? Is this useful or I'm just unaware of some tool that
abstracts venv chores away better?

--
Vitaly