SSL/TLS in Python using STARTTLS and ssl/ssltelnet and telnetlib

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Thu Nov 7 06:17:24 EST 2019

On 2019-11-07, Veek M <veek at dont-use-this.com> wrote:
> Could someone suggest some introductory reading material that will allow
> me to use 'telnetlib' with 'ssl' or 'ssltelnet'.
> (currently using Pan since Knode is dropped on Debian)
>
> I'm trying to write something that will download the NNTP headers over
> TLS.

As someone else has pointed out, nntplib would be the obvious choice
for this. But even if you don't want to use that, you absolutely
should not be using telnetlib. NNTP is not Telnet and there is no
connection between the two protocols. (Don't get misled by the common
practice of using the command-line telnet client as a convenient way
for connecting to line-based TCP services for testing purposes.)