PEP 594 cgi & cgitb removal

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri May 24 23:03:55 EDT 2019

On 05/24/2019 04:27 AM, Jon Ribbens via Python-list wrote:
> On 2019-05-23, Gunnar Þór Magnússon <gunnar at magnusson.io> wrote:
>>> nginx is the current hotness. CGI has not been hotness since the
>>> mid 90s.
>>
>> Serverless is the new hotness, and serverless is CGI. Technology is
>> cyclical.
>
> Sorry, in what sense do you mean "Serverless is CGI"?
>
> As far as I can tell, it's just a script to automatically upload
> bits of code into various cloud providers, none of which use CGI.

Not really.  Serverless just means stateless web-based remote procedure
calls.  This is by definition what CGI is.  Only now you can click a
button and put your cgi script on any cloud provider you want and get
billed by how much cpu and network bandwidth your little cgi script
uses.  So basically the cool kids have reinvented CGI.  And instead of
calling them scripts, they call them functions.

Serverless is an unfortunate name.