PEP 594 cgi & cgitb removal

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri May 24 15:24:32 EDT 2019

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid>:
> Stéphane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> writes:
>> Not a massive effort, but we are limited with the resources.
>
> I keep hearing that but it makes it sound like Python itself is in
> decline. That is despite the reports that it is now the most popular
> language in the world. It also makes me ask why the Python team keeps
> adding new stuff if it can't even keep the old stuff running. I'd urge
> a more conservative approach to this stuff.

Generally, my feelings are the same as yours, and I'm saddened by the
steady decline of one of my all-time favorite programming languages.

However, the Python developers can do whatever they want with their free
time. Of course, it's much more exciting to add new bells and whistles
to a language than maintain some 1980's legacy. So I can't make any
demands for Python.

> People who want bleeding edge advances in language technology should
> use Haskell. People who want amorphous crap-laden ecosystems that keep
> changing and breaking should use Javascript/NPM. Those who want to be
> assimilated by the Borg and get aboard an entire micromanaged
> environment have Goland or (even worse) Java. Python for a while
> filled the niche of being a not too cumbersome, reasonably stable
> system for people trying to get real-world tasks done and wanted a
> language that worked and stayed out of the way.

There's a programming language arms race. Python wants to beat Java, C#
and go in the everything-for-everybody game. Python developers seem to
take the popularity of the language as proof of success. Pride goes
before the fall.

> Please don't abandon that.

I'm afraid the damage is already done.

Marko