Handling an connection error with Twython

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Fri May 24 04:25:09 EDT 2019

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> On Fri, 24 May 2019 07:49:23 +0200, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl>
> declaimed the following:
>

>>I did not do that consciously, because I have to try until it is
>>successful an I return, or I reached the max tries and re-raise the
>>exception. With a for loop I could exit the loop and cannot re-raise
>>the exception.
>
> 	Your /success/ branch exits the loop by executing a "return" statement.
>
> 	Your /fail/ branch exits the loop by "raise" on the third failure.
>
> 	A "for" loop would have the same behavior; you just replace the manual
> initialization and increment of the loop counter.
>
> 	for tries in range(max_try):
> 		try:
> 			do something
> 			return successful
> 		except stuff:
> 			if tries+1 == max_try:	#since range is 0..max_try-1
> 				raise
>
> You never "fall off the end" of the loop.

That is true, but by using a 'while True:' loop it is clear you never
fall off the end of the loop. I find this much clearer. And when there
is a bug you get into an endless loop instead of fall of the end.
Which in my opinion is easier to spot and mend. And endless loop is
noticed the moment it goes wrong. Falling of the end could go without
an error and will be spotted much later.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer