PEP 594 cgi & cgitb removal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 22 14:29:17 EDT 2019

On 5/22/2019 3:51 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> In PEP 594 t has been proposed that cgi & cgitb should be removed. I
> suspect I am not the only person in the world that likes using cgi and
> cgitb.

I suspect that there will be at least one person objecting to each
removal.  But the underlying issue, at least to me, is that the number
and complexity of stdlib modules has grown significantly faster than the
number of active core developers.

One of the factors being considered in removal decisions is the absence
of anyone willing to list themselves in the expert's list
https://devguide.python.org/experts/
as a maintainer for a module.

At the moment, 3 other people have objected to the removal of these
modules.  I suspect that at least 2 of you 4 are at least as technically
qualified to be a core developer as I am.  A request to become the
maintainer of cgi and cgitb *might* affect the decision.

> I filed a bug against cgitb in 2004 with (apparently unacceptable
> patches) that is still unfixed.

I cannot say much without a link.  'Apparently' suggests that it was not
explicitly rejected.  Was there any review?  Lack of reviews is a
current bottleneck in merging issues.  Most people are much more willing
to submit their own code than review that of others.  If you were to
submit a new, and likely better patch (PR), perhaps others who want to
keep the modules would review it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy