Why Python has no equivalent of JDBC of Java?

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Tue May 21 08:27:33 EDT 2019

I think it's partially a design philosophy difference.

Java was meant to be generic, run anywhere and abstract and hide
differences in its underlying infrastructure. This has led to the Java
VM, and also JDBC I guess.

Python was more of a script interpreted C-derivative, much closer to
the bare metal, and thus much less effort was made to hide and
abstract.

It might also have to do with the different developer cultures. Java
was much more Cathedral, and Python much more Bazaar.
Bazaar type development seems to be much less able to come up with high
level abstraction.

At least that's my guess.

Adriaan

<python-list at python.org>
wrote:
> I programmed in Python 2 and 3 for many years, and I find it a
fantastic
> language.
>
> Now I'm programming in Java by m ore than 2 years, and even if I
found its
> code much more boilerplate, I admit that JDBC is fantastic.
>
> One example over all: Oracle. If you want to access an Oracle DB
from
> Python, you have to:
>
> 1. download the Oracle instantclient and install/unzip it
> 2. on Linux, you have also to install/unzip Development and Runtime
package
> 3. on windows, you have to add the instantclient to PATH
> 4. on Linux, you have to create a script to source that sets PATH,
> ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> Finally, you can use cx_Oracle.
>
> Java? You have only to download ojdbcN.jar and add it to
Maven/Gradle.