Most "pythonic" syntax to use for an API client library

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 14 05:47:33 EDT 2019

I highly recommend going with the last approach. With the last
approach you can pass around objects in proper OOP fashion. This will
be familiar to most contributors to your project and most devs that
you hire.

foo = api.customers(1)

if bar==baz:
    foo.update(Name='Leroy')
else:
    foo.delete()

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:43 AM Jonathan Leroy - Inikup via
Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing a client library for a REST API. The API endpoints looks like this:
> /customers
> /customers/1
> /customers/1/update
> /customers/1/delete
>
> Which of the following syntax do you expect an API client library to
> use, and why?
>
> 1/
> api.customers_list()
> api.customers_info(1)
> api.customers_update(1, name='Bob')
> api.customers_delete(1)
>
> 2/
> api.customers.list()
> api.customers.info(1)
> api.customers.update(1, name='Bob')
> api.customers.delete(1)
>
> 3/
> api.customers.list()
> api.customers(1).info()
> api.customers(1).update(name='Bob')
> api.customers(1).delete()
>
> ...any other?
>
> #3 seems to be more "pretty" to me, but I did not find any "official"
> recommendation online.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jonathan.