Error Opening Python for Windows Download

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue May 14 01:06:32 EDT 2019

On 05/12/2019 04:42 PM, Alexandra Mistak wrote:
> Hi Python,
>
> I have unsuccessfully downloaded Python Windows x86-64 executable installer
> <https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-amd64.exe> multiple
> times.
>
> After installation, when I go to launch the program it tells me to "repair
> or modify" the app. I click "repair," I try opening it again, and it
> continues on in a vicious cycle. :(((

How are you running Python? Are you sure you're not running the
installer again?

Remember that Python is a command-line interpreter, and as such it
should be invoked from a command prompt, which will drop you into the
read-eval-print-loop interface (control-Z or Control-D to exit depending
on operating system).  Alternatively .py files can be associated with
the python launcher to let them run with a double click from the Windows
explorer. But Python itself really doesn't have much of a user
interface. Normally you create programs in a text editor that are then
run with the python interpreter. If you are looking for some sort of
IDE, you might look into IDLE, which may have installed with Python.
IDLE is an editor that also lets you run and debug python programs with
within it.