Conway's game of Life, just because.

Tue May 7 22:36:33 EDT 2019

On 5/7/19 9:33 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:00 PM MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>> On 2019-05-07 19:29, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>>> In comp.lang.python, Paul Rubin  <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Elijah
>>> ------
>>> is the torus game board unintentional?
>>>
>> I've never seen a version of Conway's Game of Life where the board
>> doesn't wrap around.
> I don't think I've ever seen one where it does.

My experience is that the wrap around is common, as otherwise the hard
edge causes a discontinuity in the rules at the edge, so any pattern
that reaches the edge no longer has a valid result. The torus effect
still perturbs the result, but that perturbation is effectively that the
universe was tiled with an infinite grid of the starting pattern, so
represents a possible universe.

--
Richard Damon