Library for parsing binary structures

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Fri Mar 29 18:44:48 EDT 2019

On 27Mar2019 18:41, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm looking for a library that lets me parse binary data structures.
>The stdlib struct module is fine for simple structures, but when it
>gets to more complicated cases, you end up doing a lot of the work by
>hand (which isn't that hard, and is generally perfectly viable, but
>I'm feeling lazy ;-))

I wrote my own: cs.binary, available on PyPI. The PyPI page has is
module docs, which I think are ok:

  https://pypi.org/project/cs.binary/

Here's a binary packet protocol built on to of it:

  https://pypi.org/project/cs.packetstream/

and here's an ISO14496 (the MP4 format) parser using it:

  https://pypi.org/project/cs.iso14496/

Of interest is that ISO 14496 uses recursive data structures.

The command line "main" function is up the top, which shows how it is
used.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>