Getting file extensions [linux fs]

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Mar 27 19:09:34 EDT 2019

On 27Mar2019 21:49, Paulo da Silva <p_s_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at netcabo.pt> wrote:
>I don't know if this is the right group to ask ... sorry if it isn't.
>
>Is there a way to get the file extensions of a file in linux, the same
>way as "filefrag -e <filename>" does?
>
>The purpose is to see if two files are the same file, namely those
>copied with the --reflink option in btrfs.
>
>A solution for C is also welcome - I can write a small python extension
>to handle that.
>
>BTW, executing filefrag from python is not a solution, because I have
>lots of files and that would be too slow.

The filefrag manual entry says it works by calling one of 2 ioctls. You
can do that from Python with the ioctl() function in the standard fcntl
module. I haven't tried to do this, but the results should be basicly as
fast as filefrag itself.

You'll need to decode the result the ioctl returns of course.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>