mocking for get method in requests

Toni Sissala toni.sissala at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:15:52 EDT 2019

On 18.1.2019 19:16, Shakti Kumar wrote:
> Hello people,
> I noticed something weird (weird as per my current knowledge, though I know
> its subjective) today.

Hi Kumar,

> mock_req.get('').return_value = 'Hello'

Here you are calling mock_req -MagicMocks get-method with parameter ''
and assigning 'Hello' to its return value's return_value attribute. By
default MagicMock instance methods always return a new MagicMock
instance, which will create attributes on demand. You are not actually
setting the return value of the patched requests, but rather assigning a
return_value attribute to a local instance of a MagicMock.

> mock_req.get.return_value = 'Hello'
Here you are assigning 'hello' to mock_req instance's get -methods
return_value. This is probably what you are after. Notice that you are
not actually calling any of its methods, only assigning.

Mocks are powerful but take some time to get use to.

 >>> from unittest import mock
 >>> a = mock.MagicMock()
 >>> a.get.return_value = 'asd'
 >>> a.get()
'asd'
 >>> a.get.assert_called_once_with()
 >>> b = mock.MagicMock()
 >>> new_mock = b.get()
 >>> new_mock.return_value = 'qwe'
 >>> new_mock()
'qwe'
 >>> b.get.assert_called_once_with()
 >>> new_mock.assert_called_once_with()
 >>> b.get()
<MagicMock name='mock.get()' id='140056664500096'>
 >>> b.get.assert_called_once_with()
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/usr/lib/python3.5/unittest/mock.py", line 802, in
assert_called_once_with
     raise AssertionError(msg)
AssertionError: Expected 'get' to be called once. Called 2 times.

Hope this helps,

Toni