configparser - which one?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Tue Mar 26 09:27:32 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-26, DL Neil <PythonList at DancesWithMice.info> wrote:
> On 26/03/19 1:10 PM, Dave wrote:
>> I use Python3 3, and expected learning how to use configparser would be
>> no big deal.  Well!  Seems there is configparser, stdconfigparser, and
>> safeconfigparser, and multiple ways to set the section and entries to
>> the section.  A little confusing.  I want to future-proof may code, so
>> what should I be using?
>
> (with apologies for not answering the question directly)
>
> After striking this problem, I was encouraged to take a look at JSON,
> and thence YAML. Once there, as they say, didn't look back!

Friends don't let friends use YAML. Indeed, I have always assumed that
YAML is a joke that got out of control, like the Flat Earth Society.
It's like they chose a list of goals and then set themselves a
challenge to design a solution that fails at meeting those goals in
the most spectacular way possible. I mean, the original point of it
was that it was a simpler replacement for XML but the YAML spec is
larger than the XML spec... that can't happen by accident, right?