Your IDE's?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 25 20:14:01 EDT 2019

John Doe <john at doe.com> writes:

> What is your favorite Python IDE?

The same as my favourite JavaScript IDE, Haskell IDE, and any other
language I need:

Emacs and a shell multiplexer (today, that's GNU Screen, but others
swear that I should try TMux).

An IDE, like all of the tools that we rely on for getting our work done,
should be free software and owned by its community to ensure it's always
meeting its community's needs.

An IDE in particular should handle my programming tasks well regardless
of whether it was designed with that programming language in mind. So a
mature, flexible, extensible, language-agnostic IDE is a must.

Of those available, I know of Vim and GNU Emacs to be the strongest
contenders.

Maybe the Atom editor will get there some day, though for now I hear
many complaints that with many plug-ins active it's just too slow when
doing the kind of complex tasks we expect of a programmer's editor like
Vim or GNU Emacs.

--
 \        “The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. |
  `\                     It's absolutely not.” —Bill Gates, 1995-10-23 |