Determining latest stable version for download

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Sat Mar 23 15:23:47 EDT 2019

* Tim Johnson <tim at akwebsoft.com> [190320 10:46]:
> Some time in the near future I will want to install the latest
> current stable version of python on a remote server. I anticipate
> that I will either use wget from the server shell or download to my
> workstation and transfer via FTP. I will need source to compile.
>
> I see python source at https://www.python.org/ftp/python/.
>
> How do I determine the following?
> 1) Latest current stable version of python 3*
> 2) Correct tarfile for linux - at this time I assume it will be
>    linux centOS
  Thanks for the constructive replies. I'll attempt a compile from
  source after this weekend.
  I'll use these instructions:
  https://my.hostmonster.com/hosting/help/python-install
  as a guide and post results under a topic more appropriate to my
  goal: that of installing and running later versions of python on a
  shared server (sans root access).
--
Tim Johnson
http://www.tj49.com