Determining latest stable version for download

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 15:51:46 EDT 2019

1) https://www.python.org/downloads/ has release information. Based on that
you would currently want 3.7.2. Make sure you actually download 3.7.2 and
not 3.7.2rc1.
2) The tarfiles are not distro-specific. For Linux there are really only
two options: Python-3.7.2.tar.xz and Python-3.7.2.tgz. The only difference
is that one is compressed with xz and the other is compressed with gzip.
Pick the .xz unless you're unable to decompress it.