Block Ctrl+S while running Python script at Windows console?

Malcolm Greene python at bdurham.com
Tue Mar 19 10:45:26 EDT 2019

> This has nothing to do with Python does it? Isn't Python is just writing to stdout and those write calls are blocking due because the terminal emulator has stopped reading the other end of the pipe/pty/queue/buffer/whatever-it's-called-in-windows?

You're right. But I wasn't sure. I know Python can trap Ctrl+C break signals, so I wondered if there was a similar tie-in for Ctrl+S.

Eryk did a great job explaining the tech details of what's happening behind the scenes in the Windows world. In my case it turned out that my clicking between windows was inadvertently selecting text pausing the running process. Unchecking the Windows console's Quick Edit mode stops this behavior.

Malcolm