trying to retrieve comments with activated API key

Drake Gossi drake.gossi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:12:56 EST 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm further along than I was last time. I've installed python and am
running this in spyder. This is the code I'm working with:

import requests
import csv
import time
import sys
api_key = 'my api key'
docket_id = 'ED-2018-OCR-0064'
total_docs = 32068
docs_per_page = 1000

Where the "my api key" is, is actually my api key. I was just told not to
give it out. But I put this into spyder and clicked run and nothing
happened. I went to right before "import requests and clicked run." I
think. I'm better in R. But I'm horrible at both. If you can't already
tell. Well, this might have happened:

runfile('/Users/susan/.spyder-py3/temp.py', wdir='/Users/susan/.spyder-py3')

but I don't know what to do with it, if it actually happened.

But I feel like I'm missing something super important. Like, for instance,
how is python being told to go to the right website? Again, I'm trying to
retrieve these comments
<https://www.regulations.gov/docketBrowser?rpp=25&so=DESC&sb=commentDueDate&po=0&dct=PS&D=ED-2018-OCR-0064>
off of regulations.gov. I don't know if this helps, but the interactive API
interface is here <https://regulationsgov.github.io/developers/console/>.

I've installed anaconda. I was told to get postman. Should I get postman?

Help! At the end of the day, I'm trying to use python to get the comments
from regulations.gov into a csv file so that I can analyze them in R.

And then I think that I only need the name, comment, date, and category in
the JSON dictionary. I can't send a picture through the list, but I have
one of what I'm talking about.

Drake