Class Issue`

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 09:44:45 EST 2019

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:34 AM Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/03/2019 14:15, Calvin Spealman wrote:
> >> C++ (a language I have no respect for)
> > This was uncalled for and inappropriate. Please keep discord civil.
>
> That was the civil version :-)

Ouch, did C++ burn you in the past?

IMO it's a language that has way too many features stuffed into it
(yes, the language, not just the standard library - the actual syntax
is overly complicated IMO), but it isn't an abysmal language. There
*are* horrendous languages in the world, and C++ is not one of them.

That said, though, saying "I have no respect for" is a reasonably
civil statement, but perhaps factually wrong. Here it is in context:

> The behaviour you should expect even from C++ (a language I have no
> respect for) is a compile-time error complaining that you are passing an
> integer to a string parameter and vice versa.

Sounds like Rhodri has strong expectations about how languages should
behave, and C++ does fulfil this. So maybe there's some respect here
after all :)

But it wasn't terribly uncivil.

ChrisA