Creating a Windows executable on a Linux system

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Fri Jun 28 04:27:07 EDT 2019

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> writes:

> I need to write a Python desktop program. I create it on a Linux
> system, but it has to run on a Windows system. When looking at how to
> create an executable it seems that you need to be on a Windows system
> to create a Windows executable. Is this true, or is it possible to
> create a Windows executable on a Linux system?
>
> Any pointers about best practice creating a standalone executable are
> welcome.

For the moment it is not a problem. It is allowed to install Python
openpyxl on the systems where this application has to run. Letting the
application name end on pyw and put a link on the desktop makes it
work for the people that need to work with it.

Still interested in getting it to work (for when I get in the
situation that I have to distribute a Python program where it is not
allowed to install Python), but it is not urgent anymore.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer