Plumbing behind super()

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Fri Jun 28 03:20:50 EDT 2019

On 28/06/2019 02:13, adam.preble at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to mimick Python 3.6 as a .NET science project and have started to get into subclassing. The super() not-a-keyword-honestly-guys has tripped me up. I have to admit that I've professionally been doing a ton Python 2.7, so I'm not good on my Python 3.6 trivia yet. I think I have the general gist of this, but want some affirmation.
>
> If you use super() in a method, all it does is load super as a global on to the interpreter stack and call it without any arguments. So I'm left to wonder how it's able to figure anything out when it's being literally given nothing...

Python is open source, so let's open the source!

The magic happens when super() is constructed, in super_init
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/a8b27e623d75377aabe50df27e97cab4e81a174a/Objects/typeobject.c#L7814

Once super_getattro is called, the super object has already been set up,
and it already knows which object/class to look at.

As you can see, super_init takes the calling frame and checks the first
argument of the previous call, which, when called from a method, will
generally be 'self'

https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/a8b27e623d75377aabe50df27e97cab4e81a174a/Objects/typeobject.c#L7849

There's some additional code that, I think, handles being called from a
closure (but I don't know the C api well enough to be sure)

We can sort-of emulate this in pure Python with the inspect module

###

def not_quite_super():
     f = inspect.stack()[1].frame
     obj = list(f.f_locals.values())[0]
     print(type(obj), obj)

class A:
     def __init__(self, a=0, b=1):
         c = a + b # this is just to add some more locals to the mix
         not_quite_super()

A()

###

Once you have the caller object, the rest is just like calling super()
with arguments.

I'm not actually sure that Python example above is guaranteed to work,
but I *think* it should in versions where dicts are ordered (3.6+).
Obviously it doesn't handle all the cases super() handles.