Checking refusal of a network connection

Markus Elfring Markus.Elfring at web.de
Sat Jun 1 14:44:29 EDT 2019

> Which specific information in that man page contradicts what I wrote?

We can agree that the mentioned IP addresses are distinct.
But the corresponding functionality should be equivalent.

> If you think of
>
> | IPv4 connections can be handled with the v6 API by using the
> | v4-mapped-on-v6 address type; thus a program needs to support only
> | this API  type to  support  both  protocols.
>
> please note that 127.0.0.1 mapped to IPv6 is ::7f00:1, not ::1.

I find another information like “This is handled transparently by
the address handling functions in the C library.” also interesting.

> So you still need to bind to two addresses.

I am unsure about this conclusion.

Under which circumstances will the Python programming interfaces
support the direct usage of the identification “::1”?

Regards,
Markus