Checking refusal of a network connection

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sat Jun 1 13:32:09 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-01 19:15:28 +0200, Markus Elfring wrote:
> >> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(37351), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
> > 	Without seeing the code, I'd be suspicious of that difference.
>
> I would expect that the IPv4 address from such a connection attempt
> would be automatically converted to a IPv6 loopback address.

You haven't said which OS you are using, but as far as I know this
expectation will be frustrated at least on Linux: There ::1 and
127.0.0.1 are distinct addresses. If you want to accept connections on
both, you have to listen on both (or on ::, which does accept
connections on all IP addresees - IPv6 and IPv4).

        hp