.python_history file

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Mon Jul 29 19:18:32 EDT 2019

On 29/07/2019 23:06, Harry Grey wrote:
> Hy to Everyone
> first of all : Sorry for my english
>
> what do you think about introducing a feature that allows you to group
> by date
> and after to filter the istruction that are written in the
> .python_history file:
> maybe with a new structure for .python_history:
>
> """
> 	###DATE-OF-SOME-DAY-START###
>

> 	###DATE-OF-SOME-DAY-END###
>
> """
>
> and maybe developing a new tool, or a core functionality of python
> interpreter callable as an argument in the cmd, that allow you to parse
> the .python_history file in given date:
>
> With a tool:
>
> 	PhYstory -d 16 -m 03 -y 2019

Hi!

IMHO, this is a rather niche use case. And I suppose you could
relatively easily implement it yourself with a site hook that adds magic
comments to ~/.pyhistory as you suggest. If you want this functionality,
there's no need for it to be part of Python itself.

FWIW, IPython, as far as I can tell, already saves some timestamp
information in its history file.

-- Thomas