Boolean comparison & PEP8

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Mon Jul 29 13:56:21 EDT 2019

On 7/29/19 10:44 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 28/07/2019 19.04, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Yet the recommended solution to the problem of wanting a default
>>> argument of an empty list is something like this:
>>>
>>> def foo(bar=False);
>>>      if bar is False:
>>>          bar = []

>>> Clearly in this case the expression "not bar" would be incorrect.
>>
>> This is a fairly unusual case, though. More commonly, the default
>> would be None, not False, and "if bar is None:" is extremely well
>> known and idiomatic.
>
> That's certainly how I would have done it until I read your post. But
> reading it immediately raised the question of why not:
>
>   def foo( bar=[] ):
>     if len(bar)==0:
>       print( "Pretty short" )
>     else:
>       print( bar )
>     return
>
> Seems to work just fine.

Works find right up until you do anything that modifies bar, and find that bar
always points not to a new empty list each time but to the same empty list on
each call.

 >>> def foo(bar=[]):
...     bar.append(5)
...     return bar
 >>> foo()
[5]
 >>> foo()
[5, 5]
 >>> foo()
[5, 5, 5]

As far as ways to shoot one's own foot in Python, this is one of the most common.