ubuntu python 2.7 variations

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Jul 29 10:11:38 EDT 2019

On 29/07/2019 12:33, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> Should I always be using self build python versions?
>
> If you want to maintain your own Python, then by all means, go ahead.
> I don't maintain my own Python 2.7, but I have a number of Python 3.x
> builds, since Debian Stretch doesn't ship with anything newer than
> 3.5.

I have all the pythons except 2.7 as user builds

> The plus sign does indeed mean that it's modified, but often that just
> means they backported some (but not all) of the changes in newer 2.7.x
> builds. (Which, at the moment, would only be 2.7.16.)

I have just tried a standard make configure dance with 2.7.16 and that python
seems to behave like the original python 2.7.15rc1 version. So it seems the
current system 2.7.15+ is patched in some way differently.

I can't simply switch pythons as I used the system python to create virtual
environments and all of those need rebuilding.

> I can't speak specifically about tokenize, but if you're using it for
> anything that isn't actually Python code, you're vulnerable to this
> kind of change. I wouldn't normally expect it in a point release,
> though.

well preppy is using the ast/tokenizer etc etc to put a lot of python into a
template form with {{ }} expressions etc etc