Proper shebang for python3

Eli the Bearded * at eli.users.panix.com
Fri Jul 26 01:19:47 EDT 2019

In comp.lang.python, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn  <usenet at PointedEars.de> wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
>> On 7/24/19 4:20 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>> That is some progress, hooray. Then there's just sbin -> bin to go.
>> I suppose in the olden days sbin was for static binaries, […]
> No, “sbin” is short for “*system* binaries” which in general only the
> superuser should be able to execute.

I think Michael is confusing "sbin" with the statically linked utilities
some systems (particularly older ones, but also FreeBSD in /rescue/)
have for repairing the system when things start to go bad. You'd want
a shell (sh is great), a basic editor (eg, eg), and a smattering of
other tools, akin to the ones listed as "must be in /sbin" in your
linuxfoundation link.

But more than a few utilities in /sbin are useful for non-superusers.
Eg ip or ifconfig for informational purposes like identifying current
IP address and getting MAC.

> Which is why the above is a Very Bad Idea[tm].

Why? Programs that can *only* be usefully run by a privileged user
or in a system context (eg halt or getty) already *must* prevent non
privileged use. So why would it be a Very Bad Idea[tm] to have them in
a common directory like /bin/?

(Feel free to crosspost and set follow-ups to another group if you like.
But I would suggest *not* a Linux group, since this is something general
to all Unix-likes.)

> <https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s16.html>

Elijah
------