Proper shebang for python3

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sun Jul 21 13:13:49 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-21 10:26:17 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 7/21/19 8:47 AM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > That's fine. Unlike Tim I don't claim that anybody who disagrees with me
> > must be a newbie.
>
> Peter, that's ad hominem and unfair.

No, it isn't. Please read the first paragraph of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Well, let's see what you wrote:

| We don't need to bikeshed this.

Translation: This is not a matter of opinion or taste. There is one
objectively true answer.

| All we need is people who disagree with this view to spend a year in
| software packaging, operations, deployment and DevOps ... then get back
| to us...

Translation: People who disagree with your opinion obviously haven't
worked even a single year in this field because otherwise they would
have discovered the one objectively true answer.

| Grrrrrrrrrr......

I don't have to translate that :-)

> What I said is that if someone were to spend an extended period of time
> in devops and systems engineering at large scale, they'd quickly come to
> hate hardwired paths.

You are just stating the same point again: Everybody who has experience
in the field agrees with you, therefore anybody who disagrees can't have
experience.

> The truth is that there is no single answer to this problem until you
> hermetically seal an environment.

If you can hermetically seal the environment, the argument is moot. I
thought (and still think) we are talking about the case where you can't.
Therefore I took exception to your insistence that there is in fact one
single answer and that this single answer is one which I know from
bitter experience to be quite fragile.

> But short of that, the ability to decide to use something other than
> system-provided tools absolutely IS a requirement in systems of any
> scale.

I completely agree with that. I just don't think that using
#!/usr/bin/env is a good way to achieve that.

        hp