super or not super?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Tue Jul 16 06:42:59 EDT 2019

On 16/07/19 10:18, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be> wrote:

>>> Well, obviously it's violating LSP by changing the signature of
>>> __init__, which means that you have to be aware of its position in the
>>> hierarchy. If you want things to move around smoothly, you HAVE to
>>> maintain a constant signature (which might mean using *args and/or
>>> **kwargs cooperatively).
>> I guess the second problem is that C1 doesn't call super. Meaning that if
>> someone else uses this in a multiple heritance scheme, and the MRO reaches
>> C1, the call doesn't get propagated to the rest.
>>
> My understanding of this tiny hierarchy is that C1 is the root of the
> cooperative subtree. Example:

Why should that stop someone else from using C1 in it's own multiple
inheritance scheme? Since object is the root of the whole inheritance hierarchy
that should be workable.

I find it a bit odd to construct something so narrowly cooperative instead
of constructing it in a way that allows easier cooperation with future classes.

--
Antoon.