PyPi twine check does not like my README.rst files anymore

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Tue Jul 16 00:43:57 EDT 2019

Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> writes:
> I am update some PyPI projects and found that twine was refusing the upload.
> Failed
> The project's long_description has invalid markup which will not be rendered on PyPI. The following syntax errors were detected:
> line 1: Severe: Unexpected section title or transition.
> The other reason is the show stopper.
>
> It does not allow me to have sections in my README.rst.
>
> The README.rst starts with:
>
> Module namedstruct
>
> namedstruct encapsulates struct.unpack() and struct.pack() with results accessed by name.

It may not expect that your "README.rst" starts with a section:
PyPI will provide a title; typical descriptions then have some
introductory text and only then the section structuring begins.

If this is not the cause, look at the source of the checking
implementation. It should tell you what is does not like.