Books for Python 3.7

Gys invalid at invalid.com
Mon Jul 15 16:17:34 EDT 2019

On 7/12/19 4:36 PM, mok888 at gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone help me.
> New to Python.
> Installed version 3.7
> I purchased the "Python for Dummies" book But this book was written for an older version of Python.
> All the examples and samples don't work with version 3.7
> Can anyone direct me to which is the latest book to buy to properly learn Python.
> Thanks

Hi Richy M,
I'm in somewhat the same situation. I'm retired now at 73. Used Fortran
on IBM, Vax, PDP. Visual Basic on Windows for Work Groups to Windows 10
and changed to Linux Mint about 1 year ago. Started Python about that time.

I quickly learned that Python is more a ecosystem than a programming
language my advice would be to search what ecosystem you want.

I always use a pet project, like suggested by Andrew Z, when I start
something new. My pet project is Geo Information Systems or Gis for
short. So I have Python 3 and the Python Gis tools. I make long cycle
tours with OsmAnd on a Samsung Galaxy for navigation and record the Gpx
Tracks. I use Python 3 for analysing the tracks. I use Pandas which let
me use Excel like Data Sheets in Python :
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/index.html
If you also have MathPlot you have a serious competitor for MathLab.
Pandas also includes Numpy for better manipulation of arrays. If you
have a look at Anaconda
https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/
you can download the suite in one go. I used the official Linux Mint
repository to download the things I wanted. I think you will greatly
benefit from a IDE I use Spider (also in the Anaconda suite) :
https://www.spyder-ide.org/
but there are several others. If you want to create a GUI in your
programs than Quantum seems a great Idea. I use PyQt5 which is the
Python 3 version of Quantum version 5.

I also would like to have a good book, but have not yet decided which
one. There is a 50$ book on learning Python; the language reference (?)
There is a 50$ book for learning PyQt5 programming of a GUI. There is a
50$ book on using Python in Pandas for analysing tabular data.

In the meantime I use Gitlab for finding code snippets. I use these
beginner guides :

https://www.python.org/doc/
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python3/
https://overiq.com/python-101/