How to replace space in a string with \n

Michael Poeltl michael.poeltl at univie.ac.at
Thu Jan 31 06:17:40 EST 2019

hi ^Bert,

I've just thought that you don't like to use text.replace(' ', '\n'), and so I came up with another way to get the job done.

So it was part of a "school-test" - uiuitststs ;-)

follow the hint from Peter then, and inside *your* for-loop ask yourself, how to inspect the value of c in a loop and what to do *if* the value of c was ' ' .

as mentioned, a string is immuteable, so you cannot change it *inplace* - you have to build a new str-object (has a new object-id the starting with an empty string say

newtext = ''
and with each loop over your original text you add one character like

newtext = newtext+c

and only if c has a value of ' ', then you add a different value like '\n'

well, now you should try to understand peters for-loop, and then you should try to combine what you have learned with the if-statement within the for(-loop) block

happy learning the python-language! It's a great one, this I can promise you!
regards
Michael

* Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> [2019-01-31 11:15]:
> ^Bart wrote:
>
> >> Why?
> >
> > It's a school test, now we should use just what we studied, if than,
> > else, sequences, etc.!
> >
> > ^Bart
>
> Hint: you can iterate over the characters of a string

> ...     print(c)
>

> --

  Michael Poeltl <michael.poeltl at univie.ac.at>
  Computational Materials Physics at University
  Wien, Sensengasse 8/12, A-1090 Wien, AUSTRIA
  http://cmp.univie.ac.at/
  http://homepage.univie.ac.at/michael.poeltl/
  using elinks-0.12, mutt-1.5.21, and vim-7.4,
  with python-3.6.1, on linux mint 17.3 (rose)   :-)
  fon: +43-1-4277-51409

  "Lehrend lernen wir!"