preferences file

songbird songbird at anthive.com
Mon Jan 28 13:11:40 EST 2019

DL Neil wrote:

>>>    if it is per user defined then $HOME/.config/<app-name>,
>>> $HOME/.local/share/<app-name> and any temporary data can go
>>> in $HOME/.cache/<app-name> will do it for posix on Windows
>>> there is the per user app stuff which i haven't sorted out
>>> yet.
>>>
>>>    $HOME changes per user login name change.
>>
>> 	$HOME/.config/<app-name>/<app-user>/
>> 	$HOME/.cache/<app-name>/<app-user>/
>

> +1
>
> The latter for tmp/intermediate files (without hassles, eg creating
> unique fileNMs!). - and which can be wiped with a single command at the
> end of the run!
>
> The former for 'valuable stuff'. With the opportunity, to separate
> output presentations and inputs using sub-dirs!
>
> (noticed in one such implementation, the need to separate different
> 'runs' of the same app, by the same client, using alternate hypotheses -
> that required another 'layer' of sub-dirs!)
>
> Thanks!

  oh, well i don't need anything that complicated but
usually there is a way of generating unique file names
and managing temporary files.

  if you are running an application by a login user
which does not log out then eventually you may need
to use some other method of cleaning up the application's
files somehow but to me that is a whole different topic
from the issue of where to put them.

  songbird