Pythonic Y2K

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 17:45:54 EST 2019

Ian,

You just scared me. It is 2019 which has four digits. In less than 8,000
years we will need to take the fifth to make numbers from 10,000 to 10,999.
90,000 years later we will need a sixth digit and so on.

Do you know how many potential Y2K-like anomalies we may have between now
and year 292,277,026,596 when it may all be over? Will people evert learn
and just set aside lots of room that dates can grow into or allow varying
lengths?

Makes me wonder though why anyone in the distant future would want numbers
that long to represent that date. I suspect that long before then, some
surviving members of whatever the human race becomes will do a reset to a
new calendar such as the date the first settlers arrived in the Gamma
Quadrant.

So whatever unit they store time in, though, may still need a way to reach
back to historic times just as we do by talking about what may have happened
in 2000 B.C.