the python name

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jan 17 00:10:29 EST 2019

Avi Gross wrote:
> The question that seems to come up too often about the python name is a
> distraction. In particular, it is answered fairly prominently in many places
> as just being a nonsensical name because a founder once liked a comedic
> entity that chose an oddball name, so they did too.

That may be how it started, but I don't think Python is a silly name
for a programming language at all.

There's a long tradition of naming things after animals that have some
of the qualities you want people to associate with them. In the case
of Python, it's not a particularly fast animal, but it is sleek and
powerful, and its minimal design has a certain elegance to it.
So, I think it's very appropriate.

--
Greg