Pythonic Y2K

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:45:37 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 9:35 PM Avi Gross <avigross at verizon.net> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> The comparison to Y2K was not a great one. I am not sure what people did in
> advance, but all it took was to set the clock forward on a test system and
> look for anomalies. Not everything would be found but it gave some hints.

Clearly you did not live through that. I did and I got over 2 years of
real work from it. Companies hired me to check their code and find
their Y2K exposures. Things like a hard coded '19' being added to a 2
digit year. Or code that only allocated 2 bytes for the year. I could
go on and on. At one client I had I found over 4,000 places in their
code that needed to be modified. And there was no widespread use of
VMs that you could easily and quickly spin up for testing. It was a
real problem but because of many people like me, it was dealt with.
Now the next thing to deal with is the Jan. 19, 2038 problem. I'll be
80 then, but probably still writing code. Call me if you need me.