Pythonic Y2K

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Jan 16 14:02:39 EST 2019

I see messages like the following where someone is still asking how to do
something in some version of python 2.X.

I recall the days before the year 2000 with the Y2K scare when people
worried that legacy software might stop working or do horrible things once
the clock turned. It may even have been scary enough for some companies to
rewrite key applications and even switch from languages like COBOL.

What is happening in the python community, and especially in places where
broken software may be a serious problem?

I assume versions of python 2.X will continue to be available for some time
but without any further support and without features being back-ported.

Conversion of some features seems simple enough but as I have been studying,
I keep running into many areas where the pythons differ and often in subtle
ways that many may not know to change. I won't go into detail, but fixing
the print statement to become the print function is far from enough. Some
things can be made to work in the last versions of 2.7 where the
back-porting allows a smoother transition.

So, is there info out there on what may be problem areas? Are there modules,
for example, that have not been ported and are not available for 3.X and
don't have some similar enough other module that might be used?

This is not just a python problem, of course. PERL is an example where there
seem to be a new and incompatible old version running around.

As a note, I am not complaining that python has evolved in incompatible
ways. Not easy to avoid unless you like stasis. But if enough people keep
avoiding the hints and outright warnings to get more up-to-date, this
Y2-->3K event may be a problem.