Tracemalloc overhead when profiling

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Tue Jan 15 02:32:25 EST 2019

Juris __ <dev_20192019 at outlook.com> writes:
> I was looking for a way to profile memory usage for some script which
> deals with log message parsing. Looking through Python's stdlib I
> stumbled upon tracemalloc module. So I tried my hand on profiling my
> script. A few things I noticed that I am not 100% sure I can explain.
>
> Tracemalloc memory overhead when tracing seems somewhere 3x-4x. Is that
> expected?

Yes.

One of the API functions of "tracemalloc" is "get_object_traceback"
which allows you to ask for each allocated Python object where
is has been allocated. Your example below constructs a large
number of small objects and the "where allocated" information for
each of those objects is far bigger than the object itself.