Working with graphs - Kevin Bacon game - WOT

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 12:59:07 EST 2019

[HUMOR ALERT]

Others have given answers that are on topic so mine is not needed. I was
amused by the understandable spelling error about doing the unusual variant
of a Breath First Search when it is clear they meant Breadth.

But it may apply in this case. The Keven Bacon Game is a variation on
calculating the Erdős number. It relates to finding people who were in a
film alongside Kevin Bacon and presumably were at some point in close enough
proximity to share some component of Breath. They are the closest degree you
can get to Kevin without being him. Anyone in a film with one of those
people but not directly in a film with Kevin is of a second degree and so
on. Still others get the third degree and I won't question that.

There are several problems with an approach based on breath. The first is
that movies are often made in which the participants work in different areas
and never meet. Simply being in the same film does not guarantee that level
of closeness. And, I have seen convincing arguments that suggest the
likelihood we have all shared the recycled breath of historical figures and
very possibly have incorporated atoms that once resided within their bodies
into our own. I will spare you the calculations except to say that in some
ways we are all one. We have all breathed air that includes minor amounts
once in not only a particular Pharaoh in Egypt but also from just about
anyone in his kingdom that lived a moderately long life -- no matter where
on earth we live.

A modern figure like Kevin Bacon gets around and certainly if you live in an
area like parts of California he lived in, you may be very close in a Breath
First search but without much Depth.

And, yes, pythons breathe the same air we do, as do python programmers, just
to bring this back to whatever it is we are supposed to waste our breath
"talking" about here.