the python name

Mon Jan 7 16:10:13 EST 2019

On 7/01/19 3:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On 01/04/2019 10:45 AM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>> FORTRAN is older than most of us. So it influenced what we think a
>> computer language should sound like.
>
> Sadly, not for all of us...  FORTRAN seeded later languages with terms
> that are obscure, like rewind().  A blazing powerhouse like the IBM

Why is that obscure? It makes perfect sense - to those of us who have
used tape/serial storage! Perhaps less-so to [bobble-heads], sorry I
mean people who grew-up with 'bubble memory' (Memory sticks, 'flash
drives', SSDs). In point-of-fact, Python Context Managers

Whilst Python docs and tutorials usually make the opposite point: that
once a file/context has been read, it is "exhausted" and to continue is
illogical; don't forget that there is still seek() which does indeed
enable a "rewind"!

By the same token what thoughts does this sort of code induce?
	print( f'The magic number is {result}. So there!' )

Why "print"? I thought I was displaying something on the screen (indeed
STDIO might go to a file, eg log-like). Whither print?

Reminds me of the person who upon being told to move his mouse to the
top of the screen, picking-up the device and raised it from the desk
surface. Made sense to him!

Similarly, one team I joined used Sublime Text for coding. I was happy
to adapt until I wanted to 'print' my source-code (even though
"line-flow" stationery is harder to source these days). There is no
print function in that package!

> free form input. Prior to that it still assumed you were using Hollerith
> cards. I don't think it ever moved beyond the DO loop.

...and yet PEP-8 and countless 'style guides' maintain the 80 (actually
72 and 79 to be hob-goblin-ish) which I'm quite sure has nothing to do
with machine-sizes or relationships to a (single/one, US) dollar bill!

Refs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobblehead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length