the python name

rbowman bowman at montana.com
Sun Jan 6 20:12:21 EST 2019

On 01/03/2019 01:28 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2019-01-03, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
>
>> Do I miss-remember that there was an anaconda language at sometime in the
>> past? Not long after python made its debute? I've not see it mentioned
>> in a decade so maybe its died?
>
> About 20 years ago, the RedHat Linux (way before RHEL) installer
> (which was written in Python) was called Anaconda.

That would have been about the time I switched from RH to SuSE. I forget
the details but RH 'enhanced' Python for their own ends and broke some
of our standard Python. That was the same era when they released gcc
2.96 that wasn't a FSF release and had problems.

Bleeding edge is fine if that's what you've signed up for but I prefer a
little stability.