the python name

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 4 23:47:02 EST 2019

On Friday 04 January 2019 20:27:44 Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 01/03/2019 06:35 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 January 2019 15:28:49 Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> About 20 years ago, the RedHat Linux (way before RHEL) installer
> >> (which was written in Python) was called Anaconda.
> >
> > Thanks for rescuing my old wet ram Grant, thats exactly what I was
> > thinking of. AIR, it wasn't anywhere near a "real installer" and I
> > spent a decent amount of time turning perfectly good air blue.
>
> On the other hand I never had any troubles with it, nor have I had any
> problems with it recently.  Not sure what you mean about it not being
> anywhere near a "real installer."

It never felt like it was doing things in a logical order to me, so if
you wanted partitions, you made then before hand, and then turned the
air blue as it formatted your home partition, destroying a 5 year corpus
of emails you had saved to help you get thru an upgrade. And the only
backups I had at the time were on dds2 tapes, but the drive was as
usual, spending the winter in Oklahoma city in seagates crappy shop. By
then I'd about outgrown the dds2's, and amanda had just grown the
ability to use vtapes on a big hard drive which were at least 1000 times
more dependable than affordable tapes ever thought of being, so I
converted my backup setup to use them and I've never looked back. The
drive I just took out, a 1T I replaced with a 2T, has over 80,000 head
flying hours on it, and is still as usable as ever.  Now thats what I
call Dependability.

> The non-linear redesign that came out a few years ago really threw me,
> and I still don't like it.

Whatever debian has used for the last few years has just worked, except
as usual, the partitioner has a mind of its own. So the last install I
just let it do what it thought was right, and its actually not given me
an excuse to fuss.  I've always got amanda to bail me out. But I always
install to a bigger fresh drive, so I can just mount the old drive and 4
hours or less later a 15 year corpus of email has been moved to the new
drive and I'm a happy camper. Now smaller ssd's are affordable, prices
are in free fall.  And their speed makes a 10 year old dell fly like a
787! Love it.

Take care Michael.

Cheers, Gene Heskett