the python name

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 22:59:40 EST 2019

I don't go back to the beginning of FORTRAN. My comment was not that FORTRAN
was badly named when it was among the first to do such things. I am saying
that in retrospect, almost any language can do a basic subset of arithmetic
operations. And there is nothing in principle that necessarily stops any
modern language code from being optimized by translators to be even more
rapid than the original versions of FORTRAN. If anything, I can well imagine
algorithms using parallel architectures from performing some operations way
faster. True, many languages tend to add overhead but that is not
necessarily required.

As some have said here, many things these days are fast enough not to need
ultimate optimization.

Having said that, there is no reason why code used over and over should not
be optimized. Functions in higher-level languages can be written using the
language and then can be replaced if there is a great enough improvement and
they do not need some of the interactive features the language might offer.

Someone mentioned that in principle all data types can be stored in a
string. Python does have a concept of converting many, but not all data
structures into a byte form that can be written to files and restored or
sent to other processes including on other machines. Of course entire
programs written in text can be shipped this way to some extent. But when
your data is a long list of real numbers that you want to find the standard
deviation of, then converting it into a compact C/C++ array (or something
similar in Fortran) and calling a function in that language that works fast
on that, may be a good way to go. Why interpret a step at a time when one
pass generates the data that can be processed in tighter loops and a result
returned?